I’ve been struggeling with drinking enough water for a long time, it was already a tough task for me to drink 1l a day. But humans should drink at least 2l a day in order to stay hydrated. I always thought water is just here to stop our thirst, but it holds much more benefits, those are just some of them:
- Regulates body temperature
- Protects our organs
- Helps with our metabolism -> weight loss!
- Helps our organs so absorb nutrients better
- Increases energy
- Helps build and repair muscle
I’ve started to up my intake of water, I’ve increased my intake up to 5 litres a day, and now I want to helo you to up your water intake!
So here are my tips to increase your water intake:
- Start drinking tap water – don’t ask me why but since I’ve started to drink tap water it was suddenly easier for me to drink lots water
- Drink with a straw – remember your last cinema visit? You thought you could never drink those 1l cup of coca cola (just an example, I hate coca cola) in just 2 hours, but it was already gone after the half of the movie. You automatically drink faster when drinking with a straw, so you drink more
- Drink a glass of water right after waking up – I make sure I’ve finished at least ½ litre before breakfast, then I drink another big glass of water while eating breakfast, this way you’ve already finished half of your needed water intake even before leaving the house
- Drink a glass of water before and during every meal – I feel like drinking water before eating helps me to control my portions, I don’t overeat anymore, if you are eating 3 meals a day this tip will help you to drink at least 3l a day
- Always carry a bottle of water with you – and always sip on it, this way you will drink a lot more water than when just drinking water at home
- Add fruit to your water – add some taste to your water with different fruits (watermelon, strawberry, raspberry… make sure you won’t get bored!), also try lemon water!
- Use apps – there are lots of apps which help you to increase your water intake by reminding you to drink, e.g. waterlogged, plant nanny, daily water free (all of these are free!)
- Eat fruits that are filled with water – cucumber, watermelon, strawberries, grapefruit, cantaloupe, peaches, apricot… eating your water helps you to increase your water intale too!
- Set a timer – just like the apps this will remind you to drink water
- Get to know the benefits of drinking water – this definitely should motivate you to drink more water!
- Drink tea – Herbal or fruit teas are essentially water with natural, non-caloric flavors